First goal humans have in their lives is to make enough money so they can support themselves and their families. Once they reach there, they want to have a good status in the society. Next destination is recognition by their peers in the society. They want to leave a legacy, whereby their name is left behind and people remember them. When such an esteemed person is asked what they really wanted most in their life, answer always was, “To be happy.” So supreme goal of everyone’s life is being blissfully happy not wealth, status and recognition.
Here is my take on the situation. We are all going in life wrong way. Path which everyone follows to reach their ultimate goal is incorrect. Since all those material things are not real goal, we should change our thinking. I am not advocating that we should not achieve material things. They are necessary for our existence in this society. They are the basis of conformity in our society. In addition, we strive to do something which will make us happy and at peace with ourselves. If you achieve happiness in your life, the other things will automatically come to you. We do not need to go through sequence we follow every day. If we achieve happiness and contentment in our lives we will attract material things also.
Way to do it is:
• By being able to serve others. Among Sikh religion it is most valued quality.
• Solve someone else’s situation and be a part of other’s happiness.
• Help somebody in need. That person’s happiness and thankfulness will catapult you into sea of happiness.
• Find something you always like to do, like things which also add to your happiness. These will make you feel happy and get enough resources to make a good living. You will be able to take care of your responsibilities, be happy and you will enjoy the process. It will not feel like a work.
• Get out of your comfort zone. Don’t just conform to society.
Ultimate achievement in life is to be happy. So why waste your short stay in this universe concentrating on things which in the end do not count toward your success. Even if you are in a really bad situation, think about how can you turn it around and make it a positive experience. Find out what is your calling. If you try with sense of how it can be of service to fellow humans. You will start enjoying your journey in life.
Principle of service to others is expressed in free kitchens run by Sikhs all over the world. Extreme example of selfless service shown in the YouTube video below:
As always if you need any further assistance please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I will be happy to respond. You may also leave a comment. I will always read and do my best to answer.